Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Experiences and Observances the last couple of weeks

I am always thankful to be a part of the live music community in Second Life.  I have visited many venues and seen a ton of new performers --new to me anyway.  I have seen a community that thinks with its heart.  But just like anything else in the world, I have also seen some things that can make me ashamed of parts of it.  Everyone always says good news or bad news first.  I think I will start with a couple of disappointments I have seen...getting the negative out of the way.

One of them takes me back to an instance that I had with a performer.  She was okay, but not someone that I would have kept at my venue.  Though I had placed her next to some of the most well liked performers and some of the most talented in Second Life.  When we stopped her run on the venue, she could have gotten upset up with me, but instead she attacked the other artists.  Telling me that they had no talent and were not the best in Second Life, but that she was.  It amazed me that she would turn on her peers that way.  Truly the first time I had run across that prima donna attitude in the female performers in Second Life.  I wish I could say that I had not seen a similar attitude from a male performer, but I have....now I would hope that most of you know by know who must be the most egotistical male performer in Second Life.  I remember back when we were on speaking terms and he was going through a get rich quick scheme by helping other performers, bringing him to the venue to hear a performer from Australia.  Keeping his opinion to himself or im'd the performer would have been one thing, but instead he chooses to tell the performer what he sounded like and what he was doing wrong in local.  Needless to say, I was embarrassed that I had brought him, and even more so that I had promoted him to the performer.  This past week brought up another instance, this time on the second raters site.  Someone actually was rude enough to attack the owner about the owner's rating, and did so publicly.  Many would say this shows the ignorance of the person that makes those kind of statements.  For me, it is an embarrassment to the very community that I am a part of.  A community that as a whole, I would normally be proud of.  Though I do not know the performer nor have heard them, now I never will. It is one thing to discuss facts, it is another to resort to stupidity.  Though in this case the people that did that, well maybe,  they should look up the meaning of subjective opinion.

Another thing that happened this week, I heard a performer, which I thought was pretty good, so I im'd his manager to get info and rates.  Those that know me know that I look for four things when I book someone.  1. talent, 2. following. 3 promotion of venue, and 4 rates.  If all four come together then I will try to book them.  Some performers can cost more than others....now this could turn into another conversation all together.  But yes I am one of the venues that will spend the money....but the traffic they bring and their promotion of the venue as well as their talent warrants what they ask for.  As far as this other perform was concerned, his group size was small yet his rates were higher.  I questioned it, and wow it was an answer i was not ready for. Turns out the manager represents a few performers and is also a venue owner.  She actually told me that she does not think about that because her venue group is a combined group for all the performers, and that it is higher.  I suppose for her venue this is a good thing.....but not in sending the performer out to other venues.  I was left with a pretty sour taste in my mouth..  I am still trying to figure out how that works for other venues.....maybe one day I will actually understand it.

Now the fun part of writing this blog, sharing all I have seen and some of what I have heard.  If you have not had the chance to hear Nad Gough....then run to see him...absolutely awesome.  On that note though, I also need to mention the venue...Cascadia Music Park - Moondance....this is an wonderful venue, with only one downfall....I could not find the tip jar to tip the venue.

Some other notable performers that I have stumbled across on my mission to hear them all.....
Crooner Carlucci---takes you back to the Dean Martin era....if you're really lucky -- im him while he is performing, he has the most contagious giggle.  Bruce Scrabblebat at the Ragged Edge....Bruce not only impressed me, but the venue is pure fun.    Love country music?   Dumplings Country Music Dance Club is a great place to go.

Other extremely noteworthy venues I have visited include Felix Cove and Lost Moonatic Cave, and one of my favorites (mostly cuz the name is so much fun)I like it like that Club, Heri's Place,  Off the Rails, Up the Creek, HS Trillium Music Park "Keeping the Spirit of Giving Alive", and Khisme's Place.  I absolutely love going to other venues and seeing the creativity involved in each one.  The names alone show a part of that creativity.


There are other performers I have seen that have completely wowed me.  And many of them have been around a while, but it was my first time seeing them....How have I missed seeing PM BookmiteSaraMarie Philly,  all I can say is wow.

On that note, I have been urged by one Mr. Sid Slade to go and listen to Phil Stetnor,  Sid drove me absolutely crazy about it when I was doing the line up for the ballroom.  Do you think I listened....noooo not hard headed me...until yesterday.  I attended some of the 4th anniversary celebration of Frank's Jazz and omg.....Phil has to have one of the best voices I have heard.  Now I must hang my head down and shuffle my feet and tell Sid...the words I hate to use....that he was right.

As the day went on, I also heard another performer new to sl, but not new to performing.  She has a voice that will send you off into another world..her real life professionalism and talent truly displays itself in her shows..If you have a chance to hear Samara01 Resident, grab that chance, the voice on this performer, the versatility....giggles you know I booked her.  But also in talking to her, we found some very close ties, and I know I met a special friend as well.

A very special Congratulations to Nanceee Sinatra, Frank's is truly a wonderful place, one that no one can compare to, you have outdone yourself for 4 years.  I do not believe there is an sl resident that does know of Franks, you have accomplished something others only think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment