Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Long Overdue Update

Starting out with an apology, I know I have seriously neglected this allowing so many other things to become a priority.  It has been almost two months since I have last written and so much has happened.  Sheepishly, I will admit that I did write a long post last week, Firefox crashed and I had not saved it.  Arrrgghhh, pure frustration.  I have already started saving this time.  A lesson that was learned the hard way.

I feel as though I owe you an explanation as to my absence, so here goes.  Relay for Life Kickoff and working on a few things, adding a ballroom to my own venue, health issues, a trip out of town, almost entering into a business proposal with someone else, as well as some other personal issues.  Chuckles, at this point "some cheese with that whine" comes to mind.  So enough about me.

There has been a great deal that has gone on both in and around the music community.  Let's see how much of it I can actually remember.  If I forget something, please forgive me, and remember I have the age and blonde roots thing (a dangerous combination) going on.

March 12 marked the kick off of Relay for Life.  Many may say music community???? It amazes me though,  So much of that same music community is taking time already in short supply and working toward making this year's Second Life Relay for Life the most successful ever.  Venues are participating everywhere, performers donating their time continually for months to help raise funds.  So many of this same community is serving on and captaining teams and committees.  Songwriters submitting their own original work.  The dedication and generosity of the music community is overwhelming, and makes me so proud to be a small part of it.


Moving on, I had the opportunity to watch the BOSL awards which had two categories honoring SL Live music.  The category best original Artist nominees were Bryn Oh, Cherry Manga, Eliza Wierwight, Eshi Otawara, Glyph Graves, Nish Mip, Sharni Azalee. With Bryn On winning the award.  This category showed me names I have not seen perform and now will be making a point to see each one.  The second category that highlighted the music community was Best Live Entertainer and the nominees were: Christopher135 Quan, CraigLyons Writer, Edward Kyomoon, Maximillion Kleene, Skye Galaxy, Tamra Sands, and The Follow.  Skye Galaxy won the award.  At the same time, I did not envy the judges....knowing each of these performers, there is no way that I could have picked a winner.  Each is so very gifted.  Personally, I think each of these artists deserve the award.   The BOSL awards had Tamra Sands open the show.....if you have not had a chance to hear this woman sing...the best I can tell is watch for her events and run don't walk to her show.  She has a voice that will truly amaze you and one of the best female voices I have heard in sl.  This is one performer that I know I want so badly to appear at my new ballroom.  She is the type of performer that one would feel honored if she graces your stage.

Moving on to a completely different note.  Recently something has come to my attention that I thought was a bit disturbing.  Thinking back to the meetings that were held, with event listings seeming to be a priority to the music community and the ability to have the live music category for just live music an the nightlife category for DJ's, I was a bit disturbed when I saw a performer list the same event, at the same location and time slot posted in events at least three times.  Live Music/Nightlife/Commercial.    Though it used to be posted in Event guidelines, that the same event could not be posted twice.  I don't see it any longer and am looking it into with LL to see if we are allowed to do so.  Once I can get the guidelines exactly, I will let you know.  If this is true and can be done, the event listings will explode with events listed in many categories.

There was also another thing that had recently come to my attention and that was the destination guide.  One live music venue, that I know of, is listed twice both under Fashion and Live Music.  Again, I was under the impression that each parcel could only be listed in one category.  I looked into be by asking the LL employee that handles the destination guide.  Lo and behold, I was told that we can do just that as long as there were separate landing places.  To venues everywhere that have malls, etc. attached this should be wonderful news as it will help to increase live music exposure, as well as benefit the vendors that rent space from you.  In my case, it will mean a few listings.  Two different venues, fashion and an amusement Park.  I am not sure how that will work for venues that occupy space on a sim versus those that have the entire sim which can be parceled off.  To ensure that I am giving the correct guidelines here is the explanation as it was given to me:  "Do you mean in reference to multiple entries on the DG? One thing that is good is that if there are separate, distinct attractions on your parcel -- with unique landing spots -- if that is the case, then we will sometimes add a new entry just for that unique attraction"  I see this as being a very good thing for many venues.  I am hoping that venue owners everywhere take advantage of it.


A couple of times I referred to the fact that I am opening a ballroom, this has caused me to find a different kind of line up.  The fun part is getting out and finding performers that I did not know.  On that note I have to say that I have heard and met some wonderful voices....HammerFLA Magic, a good performer and extremely personable, just celebrated his 2000th performance in SL, Antonio Galloway, wow what a voice....hmmmm would leave the kids and dog for a voice like that, there is also Terrytoon Resident a newer performer and one is taking SL by storm.  I also have to say that I was honored to hear Ryul Neximus, while visiting RYC one day.  I can not say enough good about this performer,  newer to the stage, he has been a DJ for a while.  This man is truly a performer from his heart, both a musician and a voice to die for.  Whenever I see him, I can't help but get other venue owners there...he is a rare find in sl.


I also had the opportunity to visit other venues.  Remy Farman and Tia Foxtrot's Oceanus--Live music under the sea.  A beautiful venue, when I go back, I need to pull my mermaid avi out of the closet, their venue truly inspires that.

I know I am forgetting tons of things.  I promise to not be such a slacker in the future.

I am looking forward to traveling the grid this week as everyone paints sl purple for RFL.  I am hoping to see many of the venues in various shades and textures, as RFL hits the halfway point.  Though I won't give away the names until the big July auction, I want to thank the performers that have so graciously allowed their performances to be auctioned off. 

Everyone, please remember as you travel across the grid and see those RFL kiosks, remember every linden counts....by giving YOU are making a difference in someone's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment